If you are a provider and need to refer a patient for special care, please use the Hospital-Based and Special Care Dentistry referral. Thank you.
The Delta Dental Integrated Special Care Clinic is reserved for those patients over 16 years of age for whom existing options in the School of Dentistry may not be adequate.
- Types of special healthcare needs that may require care provided in this setting include:
- developmental/ intellectual disabilities, acquired cognitive disabilities including dementia
- progressive neurologic conditions
- physical disabilities that limit mobility, vision, hearing
- chronic and complex medical problems
- Complexity of Dental Needs - We treat patients whose dental needs can be managed by a general dentist
To follow up in regard to a referral status, please call 734-763-9544
INFORMATION FOR DENTAL PROFESSIONALS
To refer a patient to the Integrated Special Care Clinic or Hospital Dentistry, medical and dental providers should complete the online referral form found at: https://dent-services.miserver.it.umich.edu/hd/form
- Medical/Behavioral Complexity:
- Medically Complex Patients
- ASA 1-3
- The patient does not require blood products in order to have dental treatment.
- The patient does not require continuous physiologic monitoring during dental treatment.
- The patient does not require dental treatment to be provided under i.v. sedation or general anesthesia.
- The patient can ambulate to the clinic via wheelchair, or with other mobility aids. We are unable to treat a patient on a gurney.
- Behavioral Complexity
- The patient can tolerate dental procedures performed in an ambulatory care setting.
- The patient can cooperate during care provided under local anesthesia with/without nitrous oxide sedation.
- The patient does not pose a physical risk to themselves or others, with reasonable modifications to treatment provision.
- Medically Complex Patients
- Who are the Providers?
Dentistry and Dental Hygiene faculty with experience and commitment to patients with special needs work with dental students and residents who have a special interest/focus on Special Care Dentistry.
- Examination and x-rays
- Teeth cleaning
- Periodontics (gum) treatment
- Oral surgery and extractions
- Evaluations of oral lesions
- Dentures & Partials
- Bite guards
WHAT TO BRING TO YOUR FIRST APPOINTMENT
Prior to the first appointment, a welcome packet will be sent to all prospective patients, which will need to be completed and returned to the School of Dentistry. After receipt, a representative will contact you to review the information and determine appropriate next steps.
WHAT TO EXPECT
The first appointment will vary by patient and services desired.
FEES AND PAYMENT OPTIONS
We accept most major dental insurances. Call for more information or view the Insurance Information Sheet for details.
1011 N University
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Phone: 734-763-9544Validated Parking Available
Follow signs to Patient/Visitor Parking in the Fletcher Parking Structure.
Go to Directions and Parking for more information.