Frequently Asked Questions

University of Michigan School of Dentistry Continuing Dental Education Mission Statement

The mission of the Office of Continuing Dental Education is to meet the educational needs of dental professionals who are committed to lifelong learning. 

We recognize our responsibility to provide dental professionals with high-quality continuing education courses covering the most current information available on a wide-variety of topics, including didactic lectures hands-on sessions and online courses.  

How do I obtain my credit letter(s)?

There should be course-specific information on how to obtain your credit letter for a course you plan on attending in the confirmation email you received when you registered. Credit letters are always provided before a course has ended.

If you need a replacement credit letter for a course you’ve taken in the past, please contact our main office line at (734) 763-5070.

How do I register for a course?

An email address is required for registration. If you’re registering with us for the first time, you’ll have the opportunity to choose a password. Please make sure your password is memorable!

I’ve forgotten my password!

Go to our courses page and click “Register Now.” After entering your email address, click on the link “Forgot Your Password?” Your password will be automatically sent to the email address you entered earlier.

I’m interested in a CE Travel Course but can’t seem to pay or register for them on the CE website. What should I do?

Our partnership with the host travel agency and other associated universities requires that you call the number provided on the PDF brochures for the travel course which interests you – we cannot process these payments directly. However, please mention the University of Michigan as a reference when you call.

Why do courses I’ve taken in the past and their fees appear when I attempt to register for a new course? Am I paying twice?

No – our registration software simply retains historical data on a yearly basis. Because of this, it is actually impossible for us to double-charge our customers a registration fee for one course in the same year.

I paid and registered for a course more than 3 months ago but would like to cancel my registration. Can I get a refund?

Yes, but unfortunately our registration system does not keep credit card information for longer than three months for security reasons. Your refund will have to be processed manually and a check will be issued and sent to the address with which you registered.

Can I pay by check?

You most certainly can! Simply indicate that you’d prefer to pay by check in the drop-down menu on our online confirmation page and then send the check to our address provided.

Is it possible to sign up multiple attendees with a single email address?

Yes. After entering your email address, select “Start a New Registration” and enter in the attendee’s information. If you return to our website to sign up for a course afterwards, you’ll be prompted to specify which attendee’s record you’d like to modify.

I don’t see the course I’d like to take, but I know you’ve offered it in the past. What should I do?

Because room scheduling for the upcoming year can’t start until Fall semester ends, we’re often unable to add some courses far in advance. You’ll have to check back with us later, either by phone, email, or checking our website.

Also, not every course is offered on a yearly basis. Our website is updated very regularly and contains the most current CE course listing available at the School of Dentistry.

I’m interested in CE teaching opportunities at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. Whom should I contact?

Please call our main office line at (734) 763-5070.

What are the continuing education requirements for licensing in Michigan?

Specialty: Credits required over a three year time period:
  • Dentist
  • 60 hours and current CPR certification
  • Dental Hygienist
  • 36 hours (of which 12 are in dental hygiene) and current CPR certification
  • Dental Assistant
  • 36 hours (of which 12 are in dental assisting) and current CPR certification or recertification by DANB
Where can I get more information on CE requirements? Visit the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs website
Dental assistants & hygienists, download PDF
Dentists, download PDF