Dental Hygiene CDCA Tour & Exam Schedules
April 16, 2017
Dental Hygiene Spring Exam Tour
April 26, 2017
|Dental Hygiene Spring CDCA Exam|
Travel to Ann Arbor
- Driving directions and parking information online
- Local accommodations: here are a few of the many hotels in the area. Due to University and local events, we suggest calling ahead to book reservations.
- Central campus:
- Michigan League - 911 N University Ave, 734-764-3177 (across the street from the school)
- Bell Tower Hotel - 300 S Thayer St, 734-769-3010
- Graduate Ann Arbor (formerly The Campus Inn) - 615 E. Huron Street, 734-769-2200
- Ann Arbor:
- Motel 6 - 3764 S State Rd, 734-665-990 (3 miles from school)
- Red Roof Inn - 3621 Plymouth Rd, 734-996-5800 (4 miles from school)
- Hampton Inn North - 2300 Green Rd, 734-996-4444 (4 miles from school)
- Comfort Inn - 2455 Carpenter Rd., (734) 973-6100 (3 miles from school)
- Additional hotel information: Trip Advisor/Ann Arbor Hotels
- Travel resources: Ann Arbor Chamber of Commerce; MLive.com
CDCA Facility Fees for External Candidates
- External dental hygiene candidates participating in the Commission on Dental Competency Assessments (CDCA) Clinical Examination at this site are assessed a $150.00 facility fee
- The facility fee must be paid at least 3 days prior to the start of the exam
- External candidates will not be allowed to start the exam until their facility fee has been paid in full
- Payment can be made in person at the Dental Stores, located in the basement of the Dental Building, or by calling Dental Stores at 734-764-1551
- Mastercard, Visa, Discover Card and American Express are accepted, no personal checks
- In addition to the facility fee, all external candidates who plan on utilizing instrumentation belonging to the School of Dentistry are required to complete a contract for loan instruments and leave a $500.00 security deposit, typically pre-authorized from your credit card
Instruments and Consumable Materials
- Blood pressure cuffs and additional consumable products and materials needed for the examination are available from the dispensing desk. A complete list of items available from dispensing
- Consumable products necessary for the exam including gloves, masks, saliva ejectors, prophy materials and restorative materials are stocked in the cubicle.
- Disposable air water syringe tips are stocked into the cubicle along with saliva ejectors and HVE tips.
- All supplies for the manikin portion of the CDCA exam including the metal helmet and rubber mask are also provided.
- IMPORTANT: It is not necessary for candidates to send instruments or the metal bracket tray from the dental unit with your patient to the grading area; the School of Dentistry will supply these items to the CDCA
- Each dental chair has an operator stool. Assistant stools are available throughout the clinic. All dental chairs are equipped with an A-dec air/water syringe, a saliva ejector and HVE.
- The dental chair has a touch pad for adjusting the height and position of the chair. The water connection for ultrasonic scaling units is located on the base of the dental chair below the back of the chair.
- The dental light and bracket tray swivels to either the left or right side of the chair to accommodate the provider.
- The dental unit contains one dedicated fiber-optic line for high-speed, and one dedicated single line non-fiber optic for low-speed.
- Damage or loss of University property will result in appropriate deduction of the cost of the item(s) from the candidates security deposit. If the amount owed exceeds the amount of the security deposit the candidate will be responsible for paying the difference.
- Cubicle Setup
Returning Items to the Dispensing Area
- All instruments and equipment procured from the dispensary must be returned immediately after conclusion of the examination.
- Items used for patient care must be returned to the “contaminated delivery window” of the dispensing area.
- Providers will be requested to wipe down all blue totes, amalgamators, curing lights and ultrasonic scalers with a disinfectant towelette.
Repairs to Equipment During the Examination
- If you experience mechanical problems with your assigned dental unit during the exam, the School of Dentistry provides on-site repair service. Repair technicians typically walk through the clinics during the exam. If a repair technician is not readily available then proceed to the clinic telephone and follow the posted procedure for paging a repair person directly to your assigned cubicle.
- Instrument sterilization services are available at the Central Sterilization Unit on the second floor. Just take your instruments to the "contaminated instrument" delivery window at the dispensing desk and request your instruments to be sterilized. It will take 1 hour to wash, bag and sterilize your instruments.
- We highly recommend you have your instruments sterilized prior to leaving this site.
- Each cubicle in the clinic is supplied with a canister of disinfectant towelettes.
- The disinfectant towelettes are used to clean all working surfaces of the cubicle. The towelettes should also be used to wipe down the amalgamator, curing light, cavitron unit and the tote they are stored in.
- Barriers to include blue wrap, papers for the counter top, head rest covers, patient napkins with disposable napkin chains and large plastic sleeves for the bracket tray are located in each clinic. Plastic sleeves for the saliva ejector and air/water syringe are located in the cubicle. The plastic sleeves are secured to the air/water syringe and saliva ejector using an ortho elastic also provided in the cubicle.
- Disposable safety glasses will be provided for your patient. These are available at the dispensing desk.
- Important: Candidates not cleaning their work area after the exam will be reported to the CDCA, assessed a "clean-up fee" by the School of Dentistry and appropriately billed $50.00 for this service.
Entering the Building
- The dental building is open at 6:00 a.m. the day of the exam.
- We ask that you enter and exit the dental building from the plaza (level "P") of the Fletcher Street parking structure.
- A staff person will be monitoring the plaza entrance to let all external CDCA candidates into the building (on weekends only).
- For security purposes the building is not unlocked during the day on weekends.
- Dentistry and Dental Hygiene candidates are responsible to provide their own patients for the CDCA exam.
- Upon their arrival at the school, all exam patients are asked to check-in at the information desk on the floor of the exam.
- Candidates need to bring printed copies of their patient's x-rays to the exam.
- Prior to the start of the exam, all CDCA candidates are required to have their patient complete a consent form for patient treatment exclusive to the School of Dentistry. This form is for School of Dentistry use only and is not part of the exam. Place the completed form on top of the medicament cabinet. The form will be picked up in your cubicle by a representative from the Office of Patient Services during the exam.
- There are many eateries in close proximity to the dental school. There are many restaurants located on State Street only 3 blocks from the school down North University Avenue. Vending machines are located inside the dental building in the ground floor and basement cafeteria areas.