Abstract submissions for Research Day 2015 is now open
The Call for Abstracts will close January 14, 2015.
Timely and pertinent research in basic, translational and clinical science may be presented.
Presentations should fall be brought forward in one of two categories:
- Category I: Basic Science Research
- Category II: Clinical Science / Public Health
Format Guidelines Poster Presenting Guide
- The boards for posters at Research Day measure 4 feet by 6 feet. Posters must be mounted within this space.
- A poster must cover the same materials as the submitted abstract.
- Poster templates are available from Dental Informatics.
- Posters should be designed in Microsoft PowerPoint or Adobe Illustrator. Both PC and Mac formats are acceptable.
- Use figures, tables, text, photographs and other illustrations to display your information in a clear and concise manner. Material should flow logically so that it “tells a story.”
- Briefly describe procedures and materials. Define all trade names first, then use generic names throughout. All compounds and drugs must be identified.
- The poster is not a publication. Avoid full sentences and use bullets to increase clarity. References are not necessary.
- Prepare all graphics neatly and legibly beforehand, then copy/paste into the template. Typed materials should be in a font large enough to read from 8 feet away (18 point minimum). Photographs should be 300 dpi JPEG format, and placed into the template using the “insert” function.
- Be sure to acknowledge all authors and funding sources.
- Posters can be printed in the School of Dentistry through Ken Rieger in Dental Informatics (firstname.lastname@example.org or 763-3322). Files can be emailed or delivered directly to his office, room 3052. Please allow 72 hours for printing.
Financial Assistance for Printing Posters
Vouchers to cover the cost of poster printing are available to all students. These will cover the cost of printing only done through Ken Rieger at the School of Dentistry. No other costs will be covered and no reimbursements will be done. Students who qualify for a voucher will receive an email with instrucitons.
Postdocs, visiting scholars, staff and Faculty Posters
Individuals who are in a lab as a postdoc, visiting scholar or are staff or faculty will need to provide a shortcode to print posters at the School of Dentistry (or other UM printing facility.) Questions on whether you qualify for a voucher can be sent to email@example.com or stop into Dent-G306.
All posters must be turned in to the Office of Research in the week before Research Day (Feb. 2nd - Feb 9th). All poster tubes must be properly labeled. You will be given a poster number and be asked to check in at the beginning of the poster sessions. There will not be time allotted on Research Day for poster set-up.
Posters will be judged on the following criteria:
DDS, Dental Hygiene and MS/Certificate Students
ADA / Dentsply Award
Trip to the ADA Convention as the representative for the ADA/Dentsply Student Clinician Program, plus $125.00 spending allowance. (By Dentsply rules, only first through third year DDS students are eligible.)
1st prize: $100
1st prize: $100
1st prize: $200