Skip to content Skip to navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: When do the applications become available? (Back to top)

A: The AADSAS application becomes available each year around June 1.

Q: When do I pay the University of Michigan application fee? (Back to top)

A: Our application fee is $75.00 and only payable online (currently not open).  Do not send a check to our office.

Q: How soon will I know the admission committee’s decision on my application? (Back to top)

A: It depends on how quickly your application becomes complete and when the admissions committee meets to review applications. :Typically we begin reviewing applications in late summer.

Q. What constitutes a science letter of recommendation? (Back to top)

A: A science letter of recommendation is one that is written by an instructor who has taught you in a science course (preferrably a basic science course) and given you a grade.  A letter from a research faculty mentor is not considered a science letter unless you registered for a research course and he/she has given you a grade for such course.  It is strongly encouraged that your science letters are from basic science faculty.

Q: May I defer my admission? (Back to top)

A: No, we do not allow students to defer their admission.

Q: I want to reapply. What do I have to submit? (Back to top)

A: You must complete a new AADSAS application and resubmit all required materials including letters of recommendation.

Q: I’m not happy with the results from my DAT.: Can you hold my file until I have a chance to retake the test? (Back to top)

A: No, we cannot place any files on hold.

Q: Do you accept Canadian DAT scores? (Back to top)

A: Yes. If you've taken the Canadian DAT, you must request your official scores to be sent to the Office of Admissions.  Your self-reported Canadian DAT scores on the AADSAS application are not considered official and your application will not be considered complete without the official scores.

Q: I am currently attending another dental school.: Can I transfer to the University of Michigan School of Dentistry? (Back to top)

A: No, we do not accept transfer students.

Q: Do Michigan residents have a better chance of getting accepted? (Back to top)

A: Because the University of Michigan is a state supported institution, a slight preference is given to Michigan residents.: Approximately 60% of our class will be Michigan residents.

Q: How large is your entering class? (Back to top)

A: Typically, we enroll 105 students each year.

Q: Is it okay to do all of my prerequisite work at a community college? (Back to top)

A: No, the admissions committee prefers to see prerequisites taken at a four-year college or university.

Q: When is your application deadline? (Back to top)

A: The deadline to apply to U of M through AADSAS is October 15. However, early application is strongly encouraged.

Q: Does the University of Michigan require a supplemental application? (Back to top)

A: No, we do not have a formal supplemental application, however we do require an application fee of $75. 

Q: I sent all of my transcripts and letters of recommendation to AADSAS.: Do I have to send separate copies to the school individually? (Back to top)

A: No. We require students to submit all letters of recommendation via AADSAS.:  Official transcripts from every college or university attended will be required at the time of interview.

Q: Is a BA or BS degree required for entry into the DDS program? (Back to top)

A: No, it is not a requirement, but the vast majority of students that gain acceptance have a bachelors degree.: There is no preference between a BA or BS.

Q: Do I need to complete all prerequisites before I apply? (Back to top)

A: Most prerequisite courses should be completed before applying.: Prior to matriculation, you will be required to submit transcripts showing completion of all requirements.

Q: Do you accept AP courses? (Back to top)

A: Yes, and they must be reflected on an official transcript.

Q: Do you accept CLEP exams? (Back to top)

A: No, the faculty at UMSOD will not accept any of the general CLEP exams.

Q: Do you have a program for foreign trained dentists? (Back to top)

A: Yes, the School of Dentistry offers the Internationally Trained Dentist Program (ITDP) for graduates of foreign dental schools. :