Women currently make up nearly half of all dental students and 25% of practicing dentists. Before the 1970s, however, only 3% of dentists were women. Independent-minded women broke cultural norms and struggled to obtain degrees, establish practices, and be respected as professionals.
Click here to read about four impressive female dentists.
Click here to view an interactive timeline about the history of women dentists.
This online exhibit features only a small portion of the material in our Women Dentists Exhibit. Watch for future updates on these topics:
- The four women profiled here, and other impressive women in dentistry
- Are women fit for dentistry?
- Women dentists in the military
- Minority women dentists
- Choosing a dental specialization
- Women's dental organizations
To view this and other exhibits, visit the museum in the Kellogg Building on the University of Michigan campus. Click here for directions to the museum.