Donald A. Kerr Endowed Collegiate Professor of Oral Pathology
Associate Chair, Division of Oral Pathology/Medicine/Radiology
Professor, School of Dentistry
Associate Professor of Pathology, Medical School
Department of Periodontics and Oral Medicine
University of Michigan School of Dentistry
1011 N. University Ave Rm 5217
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1078
Bio | Recent Publications
1987 - BDS (DDS), Dentistry, University of Bombay, India
1990 - MSD and certificate in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Indiana University, Indianapolis, IN
1997 - PhD, University of Washington, Seattle
1998 - Certificate, Fellowship in Dental Education in the Care of the Disabled, University of Washington, Seattle
2009 - Certificate in MBA Essentials and Entrepreneurship, University of Michigan, Ross School of Business, Ann Arbor
Certification by Examination
1992 - National Board Dental Examinations (United States)
1992 - Fellow of the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
1993 - Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
1997 - Western Regional Examining Board dental licensing exam (WREB)
1997–present - Dental License, State of Washington
1999–present - Dental License, State of Michigan
National/International Professional Activities (since 2007)
2006-07 - Nominations Committee, American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
2007-present - Editorial Board, Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Endodontics
2008-11 - Editorial Board, Journal of Dental Research
2008-present - External Advisory Committtee, South Carolina COBRE grant for Oral Health Research
2009-present - Editorial Board, Head and Neck Pathology
2010-present - External Advisory Board for the Medical University of South Carolina Craniofacial Research Training Program (NIH funded T32)
2010-12 - Member, Hatton Awards Committee, American Association of Dental Research
2012-13 - Chair, Hatton Awards Committee, American Association of Dental Research
Honors and Awards (since 2007)
2007-present - Donald Kerr Endowed Collegiate Professor, University of Michigan
2010-11 - Selected for Executive Leadership Program: Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine® (ELAM) Program for Women at the Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia
2011 - Best Paper H. Dean Millard Prize, Oral Medicine; Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology Journal
2012 - The Rod Cawson Prize lecture, International Association of Oral Pathologists and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
2012 - Crosby Award (NSF-funded ADVANCE program) for women in science and engineering
2013 - MICHR (Michigan Institute for Clinical and Health Research) Distinguished Clinical and Translational Research Mentor award
Academic Appointments and Professional Experience
1987-90 - Associate Instructor, General Pathology Laboratory, Indiana University, Indianapolis, Indiana
1994-98 - Acting Instructor, Department of Oral Biology, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
1998-07 - Assistant Professor, Department of Oral Medicine, Pathology, Oncology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
1999-00 - Clinic Attending, Oral Medicine Clinic, University of Michigan
2002-07 - Director, Head and Neck Cancer Tissue Core, University of Michigan Cancer Center
2004-08 - Director, Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology Biopsy Service, University of Michigan School of Dentistry
2006-09 - Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School
2007-12 - Associate Professor with tenure, Department of Periodontics and Oral Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
2007-present - Donald Kerr Endowed Collegiate Professor of Oral Pathology
2008-present - Associate Chair, Division of Oral Pathology/Medicine/Radiology
2009-present - Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School
2012-present - Professor with tenure, University of Michigan School of Dentistry
Oral carcinogenesis: the role of ras-like proteins and galanin receptors in tumor growth and progression, focused on cell-matrix interactions that impact invasion and tumor growth; identification of serum- and saliva-based biomarkers for oral cancer; use mechanistic cell and molecular biology approaches as well as translational/patient data.
Recent Publications (selected from 65 peer-reviewed publications)
1. Scanlon CS, Van Tubergen E, Chen L-C, Elahi SF, Kuo S, Feinberg S, Mycek MA and D’Silva NJ. Characterization of human squamous cell carcinoma invasion in a three dimensional organotypic culture via sub-surface nonlinear optical microscopic molecular imaging. Accepted for publication, Experimental Biology and Medicine, July 2013.
2. Liu M, Scanlon CS, Banerjee R, Russo N, Inglehart RC, Willis AL, Weiss S and D’Silva NJ. The histone methyltransferase EZH2 mediates tumor progression on the chick chorioallantoic membrane (CAM) assay, a novel model of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Accepted for publication, Translational Oncology, 2013; 6(3):273-81.
3. Travan S, Li F, D’Silva NJ, Slate EH, Kirkwood KL. Differential Expression of Mitogen Activating Protein Kinases in Periodontitis. J Clinical Perio, 2013 40(8):757-64
4. Van Tubergen E, Banerjee R, Liu M, VanderBroek R, Light E, Kuo S, Feinberg S, Willis A, Wolf G, Carey T, Bradford C, Prince M, Worden F, Kirkwood K, D’Silva NJ. Inactivation or loss of TTP promotes invasion in head and neck cancer via transcript stabilization and secretion of MMP9, MMP2, and IL-6. Clinical Cancer Research, 2013 19(5):1169-79.
5. Scanlon CS, Van Tubergen EA, Inglehart RC, D'Silva NJ. Biomarkers of Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition in Squamous Cell Carcinoma. J Dental Res, 2013;92(2):114-21.
6. Scanlon CS, D’Silva NJ. Personalized Medicine Strategies for Cancer Treatment: Lessons Learned from Tumor Antigens. In Press. OncoImmunology, 2013; Apr 1;2(4):e23433.
7. Russo N, Wang X, Liu M, Banerjee R, Goto M, Scanlon C, Metwally T, Inglehart R, Tsodikov A, Duffy S, van Tubergen E, Bradford C, Carey T, Wolf G, Chinnaiyan AM, and D’Silva NJ. A novel approach to biomarker discovery in head and neck cancer using an autoantibody signature. Oncogene, 2012 Nov 19. [Epub ahead of print].
8. Banerjee R, Russo N, Liu M, Van Tubergen E, and D’Silva NJ. Rap1 and its Regulatory Proteins: The tumor suppressor, oncogene, tumor suppressor gene axis in head and neck cancer. Small GTPases. 2012 3(3):192-7
9. Zhang X, Rossa C, Liu M, Li F, D’Silva NJ, Kirkwood KL. Oral Squamous Carcinoma Cells Secrete RANKL Directly Supporting Osteolytic Bone Loss. Oral Oncology, 2013; 49(2): 119-28. PMC3527639
10. Talwar S, Balasubramanian S, Sundaramurthy S, House R, Wilusz C, Kuppuswamy D, D’Silva N, Gillespie M, Hill E, Palanisamy V. Over-expression of RNA-binding protein CELF1 prevents apoptosis and destabilizes pro-apoptotic mRNAs in oral cancer cells. RNA Biology, 2012 10(2):277-86.
11. Kamarajan P, Alhazzi T, Danciu T, D’Silva NJ, Verdin E, Kapila Y. Receptor interacting protein (RIP) and Sirtuin-3 (SIRT3) are on Opposite Sides of Anoikis Resistance and Tumorigenesis. Cancer, 2012 ;118(23):5800-10.
12. Tsien C, Nyati MK, Ahsan A, Ramanand SG, Chepeha DB, Worden FP, Helman JI, D’Silva NJ, Bradford CR, Wolf GT, Lawrence TS, Eisbruch A. The effect of erlotinib on EGFR and downstream signaling in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Head and Neck, 2012 In Press
13. Colacino JA, Arthur AE, Dolinoy DC, Sartor MA, Duffy SA, Chepeha DB, Bradford CR, Walline HM, McHugh JB, D'Silva N, Carey TE, Wolf GT, Taylor JM, Peterson KE, Rozek LS. Pretreatment dietary intake is associated with tumor suppressor DNA methylation in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Epigenetics 2012, 7(8):883-91.
14. Banerjee R, Mani R, Russo N, Scanlon CS, Tsodikov A, Jing X, Cao Q, Palanisamy N, Metwally T, Inglehart RC, Tomlins S, Bradford C, Carey T, Wolf G, Kalyana-Sundaram S, Chinnaiyan A, Varambally S and D’Silva NJ. The tumor suppressor gene rap1GAP is silenced by mir-101-mediated EZH2 overexpression in invasive squamous cell carcinoma. Oncogene 2011; 30(42):4339-49. PMC3154567
15. Wansom D, Light E, Thomas D, Worden F, Prince M, Urba S, Chepeha D, Kumar B, Cordell K, Eisbruch A Taylor J, Moyer J, Bradford C, D’Silva NJ, Carey T, McHugh J, Wolf G. Tumor Infiltrating Lymphocytes and Human Papillomavirus-16 Associated Oropharynx Cancer. 2011. Laryngoscope. 2012;122(1):121-7. PMID22183632
16. Van Tubergen E, Vander Broek R, Lee J, Wolf G, Carey T, Bradford C, Prince M, Kirkwood KL, and D’Silva NJ. Tristetraprolin regulates IL-6 which is correlated with tumor progression in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. 2011 Cancer, 117(12):2677-89. NIHMSID255498.
17. Banerjee R, Henson B, Russo N, Tsodikov A, D’Silva NJ. Rap1 mediates Galanin receptor 2-induced proliferation and survival in squamous cell carcinoma. 2011 Cellular Signalling, 23(7):1110-8. PMID: 21345369; PMC3090707
18. Murdoch-Kinch CA, Russo N, Griffith S, Braun T, Eisbruch A, D’Silva NJ. Recovery of Salivary EGF in Parotid Saliva Following Parotid Sparing Radiation Therapy: A Proof of Principle Study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2011; 111(1):64-70.
19. Zhao W, Liu M, D’Silva NJ, Kirkwood KL. Tristetraprolin Regulates IL-6 Expression Through p38 MAPK Dependent Affinity Changes with mRNA 3’UTR. J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2011;31(8):629-37.
20. Arthur AE, Duffy SA, Sanchez GI, Gruber SB, Terrell JE, Hebert JR, Light E, Bradford CR, D’Silva NJ, Carey TE, Wolf GT, Peterson KE, Rozek LS. Higher micronutrient intake is associated with human papillomavirus-positive head and neck cancer: a case-only analysis. Nutr Cancer. 2011;63(5):734-42.
21. Scheller EL, Kirkpatrick CM, D’Silva NJ, Krebsbach PH, Edwards PC. Bisphosphonates inhibit expression of P63 by oral keratinocytes. J Dent Res. 2011;90(7):894-9.
22. Alhazzi T, Kamarajan P, Nam J, Verdin E, D’Silva NJ, Kapila Y. Sirtuin-3 (SIRT3), A Novel Potential Therapeutic Target for Oral Cancer. Cancer. 2011 Apr 15;117(8):1670-8. PMID: 21117229
23. Goto, M, Mitra RS, Liu M, Lee J, Henson BS, Carey T, Bradford C, Prince M, Wang C-Y, Fearon ER, D’Silva NJ. Rap1 Stabilizes β-catenin and Enhances β-catenin-dependent Transcription and Invasion in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck. Clin Cancer Res. 2010; 16(1):65-76. PMID20028760
24. Stanbery L, D'Silva NJ, Lee JS, Bradford C, Carey T, Prince M, Wolf G, Worden F, Cordell K, and Petty EM. (2010) High SEPT9_v1 expression is associated with poor clinical outcomes in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Translational Oncology, 2010;3(4):239-45. PMID20689765
25. Kamarajan P, Garcia-Pardo A, D’Silva NJ, and Kapila YL. (2010) The CS1 segment of fibronectin is involved in human OSCC pathogenesis by mediating OSCC cell spreading, migration, and invasion. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:330. PMID20579373
26. Kumar B, Cordell K, Lee JS, Worden FP, Prince ME, Tran HH, Wolf GT, Urba, Chepeha DB, Teknos TN, Eisbruch A, Tsien CI, Taylor J, D’Silva NJ, Yang K, Kurnit D, Bauer J, Bradford C, Carey T. EGFR, p16, HPV Titer, BCLXL and p53, Gender and Smoking as Indicators of Response to Therapy and Survival in Oropharyngeal Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26(19):3128-37. PMID18474878
27. Worden F, Kumar B, Lee JS, Wolf GT, Cordell K, Taylor J, Urba S, Eisbruch A, Teknos T, Chepeha, Prince M, Tsien C, D’Silva NJ, Yang K, Kurnit D, Mason H, Miller T, Wallace N, Bradford C, Carey T. Chemoselection as a Strategy for Organ Preservation in Advanced Oropharynx Cancer: Response and Survival Positively Associated with HPV16 Copy Number. J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26(19):3138-46.
28. Mitra RS, Goto M, Lee JS, Maldonado D, Taylor JMG, Pan Q, Carey TE, Bradford CR, Prince ME, Cordell K, Kirkwood KL and D’Silva NJ. Rap1GAP promotes invasion via induction of MMP-9 secretion, which is associated with poor survival in early N-stage squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Research 2008 68(10):3959-69. PMID18483282.