|e-learning home | admission | curriculum & competencies | online faculty | resources | contact us|
To be considered for admission to UM's Dental Hygiene Degree Completion E-Learning program, applicants need to:
- Have graduated from an accredited dental hygiene program
- Hold a current dental hygiene license for practice in the United States
- Have cumulative grade point average (GPA) closely evaluated. The Admissions Committee examines grades for consistency/improvement, repeated, and/or withdrawn courses. Currently the average GPA of our entering students is 3.3.
- Take TOEFL or MELAB if English is your second language. Scores must be submitted as part of the application process using the institution code 1839.
Completion of 120 semester hour credits is required to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene through the E-Learning Program. Thirty-six (36) semester credit hours will be fulfilled in this program.
Sixty (60) semester hour credits from dental hygiene course work will be applied. Twenty-four (24) credit hours (including statistics) will be given as transfer credit, and must be completed prior to beginning the E-Learning Program. It is recommended that prospective students contact us early to evaluate transfer credit.
An online application is available each fall through Undergraduate Admissions. For important directions on completing the online transfer student application (Common Application) see Tips & Tricks. Once your application has been received by U-M's Division of Dental Hygiene, you will be contacted to participate in an interview (on phone or in person) and complete an online computer skill test.
The E-Learning Degree Completion Program starts in the fall term only. Prospective students are encouraged to complete applications early as we follow a ‘rolling admission’ process and admission decisions are considered as applications arrive. Applications are due no later than February 1 of the year acceptance is desired.
Tuition and Expenses
Students enrolled in the Dental Hygiene Degree Completion E-Learning Program are considered part-time, upper division students in the School of Dentistry/Dental Hygiene. The University of Michigan Office of the Registrar provides information on tuition and fees.
The University of Michigan's Office of Financial Aid is committed to helping students obtain the financial assistance needed to meet educational goals. It is important to indicate the need for financial aid on UM's application materials. Visit the Office of Financial Aid web site or call 734-763-6600 for information.
Additional financial aid opportunities:
- American Dental Hygienists' Association Institute for Oral Health
- American Dental Education Association
- University of Michigan Center for the Education of Women
Computer System Requirements
Each student accepted is required to purchase a laptop through the E-Learning program. It will be delivered to the students at the initial on-campus orientation, fully loaded to meet the program's necessary hardware and software requirements. Utilizing student and program discounts, the estimated cost of this laptop is $1,500. Peripherals (such as printers, i-Pods, etc) are optional and may also be purchased at discounted prices.
High speed, reliable internet service provider such as DSL, cable, or satellite is required for this program.