Master of Science Online
The Master of Science in Dental Hygiene Online Program offers students the opportunity to earn a master’s degree without having to relocate. The online program offers students flexibility, but still comprises the educational and experiential background needed to meet the challenge of today's advanced dental hygiene requirements.
Courses are scheduled in a sequence to allow for completion of this 36-credit-hour program in a 24-month period. Students will enroll in two courses each semester earning 6 credit hours during each of the six contiguous semesters of the program. Transfer of credit from other graduate programs cannot be accommodated.
Is the online program right for you?
Before applying, you should ask yourself these questions:
Do I live within reasonable distance of an entry-level dental hygiene program?
- As part of this program, students will be required to student teach 1 day or more each week.
Are my work and family schedules flexible?
- In order to accommodate required individual and group study time, students should be able to commit at least 20 hours per week to the program (includes weekends).
- In order to accommodate student teaching and thesis research, students should have a minimum of one weekday day available.
Am I ready for online learning?
- Online learning requires a high degree of personal motivation and discipline. Complete the Online Learning Readiness Assessment questionnaire (San Diego Community College) to help determine if you meet the profile of a successful learner in a distance education environment.
Do I have reasonable computer skills?
- Students must be able to navigate a variety of computer software programs including Word and PowerPoint, and should be comfortable functioning in web-based environments. Before applying, take the Readiness Assessment (Foothill College) to help determine if you are ready to participate in an online program. If you fall short in any areas, you may want to consider checking your local community colleges and adult community education programs for courses to help you brush up on your computer skills.