The University of Michigan has the faculty, facilities, and curricular options future dental hygienists need for success in their chosen profession. As the role of the dental hygienist expands, along with changes in education, healthcare, and rapid advances in technology, it is critical to educate master's-prepared dental hygienists.
Earn your master's degree
in a totally online format.
Earn your master's degree
on the U-M's Ann Arbor Campus
U-M's Master of Science in Dental Hygiene Program is offered in two delivery formats. Students may elect to enroll in the On-Campus Master's Program, participating in a blend of classes online and on the U-M's Ann Arbor campus. The Online Master’s Program option provides the opportunity for students to earn their master’s degree in a totally online format.
The mission of the dental hygiene graduate program is to provide its students with the educational experiences necessary to become oral health leaders; to conduct research in basic, behavioral, and clinical sciences; and to serve the university, the profession, and the community.
- Provide graduates with expanded skills to assume leadership roles in education, community health settings, research, and administration.
- ○ The graduate dental hygiene program prepares students to assume a variety of roles in dental hygiene. The program recognizes the need for its graduates to be prepared to assume leadership in dental hygiene education, changing healthcare delivery, and workforce models as they develop.
- Prepare graduates for faculty positions in dental hygiene programs.
- The America Dental Education Association and the American Dental and Dental Hygienists' Association recognize the increasing need for dental hygiene educators. Today, an increase in the number of programs and the simultaneous retirement of faculty means that the need for dental hygiene faculty is growing faster than ever. In 1964, U-M became one of the first dental hygiene programs to offer the MSDH degree, and the university continues to be a leader in the profession.
- Contribute to the body of knowledge in dental hygiene through research and scholarly activity.
- The graduate dental hygiene program offers students the opportunity to gain outstanding research skills through solid methodology preparation and clinical/educational research experiences. Students receive excellent mentorship and exposure to changing technology and research methods, making the University of Michigan one of the foremost programs for dental hygiene translational research.