Cariology, Restorative Sciences and Endodontics
School of Dentistry, Room 2395
University of Michigan
1011 N University Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1078
TEL = 734-763-3391
FAX = 734-936-1597
EMAIL = email@example.com | 2013 CV
additional contact information | Research Lab
Carlos González-Cabezas, DDS, MSD, PhD, holds the position of Associate Professor (tenured) in the Department of Cariology, Restorative Sciences and Endodontics at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry. After receiving his dental degree from the Universidad Central de Venezuela (UCV), Caracas, Venezuela, in 1991, Dr. González-Cabezas worked as a Research Collaborator for the Dental Research Institute of his Alma Mater (UCV), while simultaneously working in private practice. In 1992, he entered the PhD program in Dental Sciences at Indiana University. In 1995, he accepted the position of Director of the Confocal and Scanning Electron Microscopy Facility. In 1996, he accepted a position as Visiting Assistant Professor at IUSD. In 1997, he obtained his PhD degree in Dental Sciences at Indiana University. In 1998, he accepted a tenure-track position as Assistant Professor at IUSD. Between 1999 and 2001, he served as Vice-President and President of the Indiana Section of the American Association for Dental Research (AADR). In 2002, he obtained a 2-year certificate in graduate operative dentistry. In 2004, he obtained a DDS degree from Indiana University School of Dentistry, became licensed in the state of Indiana, and was promoted to Associate Professor with tenure. In September 2005, he accepted the positions of Director of the OHRI Laboratory Research Core/Facility and Director of the OHRI Laboratory Contract Testing Program. In March 2009, he obtained a MSD in Operative Dentistry from Indiana University School of Dentistry, and in September 2009 he accepted his current position at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry.
Dr. González is greatly involved and interested in the teaching of cariology to pre-doctoral and graduate students. Additionally, he regularly mentors students conducting research projects in cariology. Dr. González is also interested in developing and integrating new teaching methods to improve the education of dental students.
Dr. González research interests are mostly related to increasing our understanding of dental caries and erosion and their clinical management. He is regularly engaged in numerous research projects; many of them in collaboration with other institutions from all over the world. Dr. González has particular interest in secondary caries, dental erosion-abrasion, remineralization, fluorides, and oral health products in general (e.g., dentifrices, rinses, toothbrushes, etc.). Currently, he is focused in three research areas: 1) Development of new approaches to prevent or reverse caries activity by using new information from biofilms obtained using an innovative wireless devices with microsensors, 2) Development of new methods to remineralize non-cavitated pits and fissures lesions more efficiently, 3) Development of more efficacious and safer fluoride varnishes.
1. Fontana M, González-Cabezas C. Minimal intervention dentistry: part 2. Caries risk assessment in adults. Br Dental J 2012;213:447-51.
2. Fontana M, González-Cabezas C. Are we ready for definitive clinical guidelines on xylitol/polyol use? Adv Dent Res 2012 24(2):123-8.
3. González-Cabezas C, Jiang H, Fontana M, Eckert G. Effect of low pH on surface rehardening efficacy of high concentration fluoride treatments on non-cavitated lesions. J Dent 2012 Jun;40(6):522-526.
4. Fontana M, González-Cabezas C. Changing paradigm: a different view of caries lesions. Compend Contin Educ Dent2011 Nov-Dec; 32 (Spec No 4):24, 26-27.
5. Fontana M, González-Cabezas C. Evaluation du risque carieux chez l'adulte. Réalités Cliniques. 2011; 22; 3:213-19.
6. González-Cabezas C. Determination of the Abrasivity of Dentifrices on Human Dentin Using the Radioactive (also known as Relative) Dentin Abrasion (RDA) Method. J Clin Dent 2011;21(S):S9-S10.
7. Nassar H, González-Cabezas C. Effect of gap geometry on secondary caries in vitro. Caries Research 2011 Sept;45(4):346-352.
8. Van der Weijden FA, Campbell SL, Dörfer CE, González-Cabezas C, Slot DE. Safety of oscillating-rotating powered brushes compared to manual toothbrushes: a systematic review. J Periodontol. 2011 Jan;82(1):5-24
9. Churchley D, Lynch RJ, Lippert F, Eder JS, Alton J, González-Cabezas C. Terahertz pulsed imaging study to assess remineralization of artificial caries lesions. J Biomed Opt. 2011 Feb;16(2):026001.
10. Pereira CP, Eggertsson H, González-Cabezas C, Zero DT, Eckert GJ, Mialhe FL. Quantitative light-induced fluorescence (QLF) in relation to other technologies and conventional methods for detecting occlusal caries in permanent teeth. Braz J Oral Sci 2011;10(1):27-32.
11. González-Cabezas C. The Chemistry of Caries: Remineralization and Demineralization Events with Direct Clinical Relevance. Dental Clinics of North America 2010;54:469-478.
12. Chapman JA, Roberts WE, Eckert GJ, Kula KS, González-Cabezas C. Risk factors for incidence and severity of white spot lesions during treatment with fixed orthodontic appliances. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010 Aug;138(2):188-94.
13. Behnan SM, Arruda AO, Sohn W, González-Cabezas C, Peters MC. In-vitro evaluation of various treatments to prevent demineralization next to orthodontic. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2010;138(6):712.e1-712.e7.
14. Zero DT, Creeth JE, Bosma ML, Butler A, Guibert RG, Karwal R, Lynch RJM, Martinez-Mier EA, González-Cabezas C, Kelly SA. The effect of brushing time and dentifrice quantity on fluoride delivery in vivo and enamel surface microhardness in situ. Caries Res 2010;44:90-100.
15. Hara AT, González-Cabezas C, Creeth J, Parmar M, Eckert GJ, Zero DT. Interplay between fluoride and abrasivity of dentifrices on erosion-abrasion. J Dent 2009;37(10):781-785.
16. Zero DT, Fontana M, Martínez-Mier EA, Ferreira-Zandoná A, Ando M, González-Cabezas C, Bayne S. The biology, prevention, diagnosis and treatment of dental caries. JADA 2009;140(9):25S-35S.
17. Hara AT, Kelly SA, González-Cabezas C, Eckert GJ, Barlow AP, Mason SC, Zero DT. Influence of fluoride availability of dentifrices on eroded enamel remineralization in situ. Caries Res 2009;43(1):57-63.
18. Hughes N, Mason S, Creeth J, Parmar M, Hara AT, González-Cabezas C. The effect of anti-sensitivity dentifrices on brushing abrasion of eroded dentin in vitro. J Clin Dent 2008;19(4):143-146. [PubMed]
19. Hara AT, González-Cabezas C, Creeth J, Zero DT. The effect of human saliva substitutes in an erosion-abrasion cycling model. Eur J Oral Sci 2008 Dec;116(6):552-556.
20. Thneibat A, Fontana M, Cochran MA, González-Cabezas C, Moore BK, Matis BA, Lund MR. Anticariogenic and antibacterial properties of a copper varnish using an in vitro microbial caries model. Operative Dentistry 2008;33(2):142-148.